Why Food Storage and the like

FOOD STORAGE BASICS AND BEYOND!

This blog comes to help us all deal with FS questions and to build up from a starting place & build a more complete and full FS & how to be more Self Reliant. Let us all get Prepared & ready for anything that may come our way. You never know when Mother Nature, Man Made Disaster or Money Problems may come and you would need your FS to get you through! I will talk about Emergency Preparedness also!

Food Storage, Emergency Preparedness, Other tips and Ideas. Let me help you get ready for what ever may come!

I started Food Storage over 15 years ago. I have taught many classes and been a speaker and helped many people over the years. This is a place where I can state things or address issues I want to cover.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Storage Idea for May



We all have a hard time finding a place for every thing. the closets are not big enough, there are not enough shelves for everything. The kitchen will not hold all the items I have. I know the story. I thought I had a big kitchen with lots of cupboards and lots of space. Then I go and fill it up with food, and dishes. you know the basic stuff we all have in our kitchens.

One thing I have learned to do over the years is when I go shopping, we call it big shopping one a month to every six weeks. When we come home we have to find a place to put everything. Well the tip for this month is when putting food away in your cupboards put the same type of food in the same area or cupboard. Put all the fruits together, as well as all the vegetables. Keep the pastas in the same area and not all over the kitchen. Keep the flour, sugar, and other baking items in the same location as well.

One reason is to know what you have at a glance. Second is you only have to go to one cupboard to get items for say baking and not have to go here, then go there to gather up all your baking supplies. Also makes for easier clean up, off to one cupboard and not two or three. 

It is spring time, clean and re organize you cupboards and your pantry. This is the best time to take every thing out, wipe down the cupboards, check for pests and discard old stuffs and find the empty boxes taking up space. Then put every thing of alike food stuffs away in the same area. Label the inside of the cupboards for what goes where. Some people label the outside the choice is yours. That way when you have "helpers" they know where things go when put away.

This is a simple but easy way to find extra room in your kitchen and your kitchen pantry.


No comments:

Post a Comment